February 28, 2013

Decked With Holly by Marni Bates

Title: Decked With Holly
Author: Marni Bates
Pages: 272
Publisher: K-Teen

From goodreads.com:  Taking a Christmas cruise with her two cousins from hell isn't Holly's idea of a good time. And when seasickness forces her into an open suite, she's pepper-sprayed by a gorgeous guy called Nick. But when Holly makes her exit, she's greeted by a horde of screaming teenage fans. Because Nick happens to be Dominic Wyatt, drummer for one of the hottest bands in America. Suddenly rumours are swirling and Holly's face is plastered all over the Internet. The band can't risk a scandal destroying their family-friendly image, so Dominic convinces Holly to be his fake girlfriend - just for two weeks. How bad could it be to be "fauxmantically" involved with a cute rock star? She's about to find out...

I picked this one up right before Christmas because it sounded Christmassy, it looked Christmassy, and, as an added bonus, it qualified for the Sophomore Reading Challenge.  It turns out it wasn't actually that Christmassy, but that's alright.  It had a ton of other things for me to love about it including:



  • Holly and Nick's begrudging interactions
  • how their relationship went from necessary (from a PR standpoint) to something neither of them wanted to give up
  • Nick himself: drummer for the famous band ReadySet - and crankpot extraordinaire
  • the other ReadySet guys.  Though we only got glimpses of them, they were awesome.  I would have loved to have spent more time with them.

The one thing I was kind of on the fence about was the way Holly sometimes treated their agreement.  I know in my head that any girl would have seen the 'I can use this to make myself popular' angle, but I wanted Holly to be better than that.  Eventually she was though, and that's why I don't even really count it as a detriment.

Based on how much I loved this I'll definitely be checking out Bates's first book, Awkward.  I enjoyed her writing style and characters, and I look forward to seeing more from her in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment