March 15, 2012

The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June by Robin Benway

Title: The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June
Author: Robin Benway
Pages: 288
Publisher: Penguin Group, USA

From bn.com: April, the oldest, can see the future. May, the middle sister, can disappear. And June, the youngest, can read minds. At the time of their parents' divorce, the three sisters recover these strange and magical powers from their childhood, powers that help them cope with the hardest year of their lives. When April gets a vision of disaster, the girls must come together to save the day-and their family. But in the process they learn that there's one thing stronger than magic: sisterhood. 

I came into this one with high expectations because of how much I loved Audrey, Wait!  It's funny, I actually read Audrey because I had read the summary for this one and thought it sounded good.  It wasn't out yet so I picked up Audrey, loved it, and then proceeded to wait about a year and a half to read this one.

The plot of April, May, and June sounded so interesting to me.  Three quirky sisters with sudden magical powers?  Hell, it sounds like Charmed set in high school, and I loved me some Charmed

My favorite things about this book turned out to be style things.  At the beginning of each chapter they put the name of the sister whose point of view the chapter was in.  This was helpful because I mixed up the three girls in the beginning a whole lot.  To the point where I actually wrote down their names with what their power was so I could reference it while I was reading.  There was also a quote at the beginning of each chapter that came from within that chapter.  I hope I don't have to tell you how much I love quotes.  I really liked that the quote didn't necessarily make sense until you were done with the chapter.

There was just a teeny part of this that I didn't love so much.  It was when the sisters were all together.  When they interacted with other people, I adored them.  That is when they had the chance to shine individually.  When they were all together - and they were a lot of the time - it became a little too chaotic for me, dialogue wise.

I have to give bonus points to whoever redid the cover.  The original was good, but I love this one above.  Super cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment