February 23, 2012

The Fortunes of Indigo Skye by Deb Caletti

Title: The Fortunes of Indigo Skye
Author: Deb Caletti
Pages: 320
Publisher: Simon Pulse

From bn.com:
I suddenly see where I'm standing, and that's at the edge of change - really, really big change.

Eighteen-year-old Indigo Skye feels like she has it all - a waitress job she loves, an adorable refrigerator-delivery-guy boyfriend, and a home life that's slightly crazed but rich in love. Until a mysterious man at the restaurant leaves her a 2.5 million-dollar tip, and her life as she knew it is transformed.

At first it's amazing: a hot new car, enormous flat-screen TV, and presents for everyone she cares about. She laughs off the warnings that money changes people, that they come to rely on what they have instead of who they are. Because it won't happen...not to her. Or will it? What do you do when you can buy anything your heart desires -- but what your heart desires can't be bought?

This is the story of a girl who gets rich, gets lost, and ultimately finds her way back -- if not to where she started, then to where she can start again.

I have to start this review saying that I am a huge Deb Caletti fan.  I haven't been reading her books for that long, but I love her voice.  She is, to steal a line from a character in The Sweetness of Salt (by Cecilia Galante), one of the scary truth tellers.  I just think Deb Caletti totally gets it and she writes really smart teen contemporaries.

That being said, this wasn't my favorite.  I loved the concept.  Kind of quirky high school waitress makes an impact on a customer and he leaves her a giant tip.  She does a little crazy spending, but who wouldn't?  She makes some terrible decisions, which were tough to watch, but that's because I genuinely liked Indigo.

The thing is, I think it took too long to get Indigo the money.  It says she's getting it in the description, so I knew it was coming before I started reading it.  It took almost half the book for the Vespa Guy to leave her the envelope with 2.5 million dollars in it.  After that, the rest of the book felt a little smushed together.

My other big problem with this book was her boyfriend, Trevor.  He was a jerk about the money.  It wasn't their money, it was her money and he should not have been spending it without talking to her about it first.  It also bothered me how fast she got over it.  I wanted to be like, "No girlfriend, he's in the wrong here, don't forgive him so easily."   

Other than those two issues I did like it.  I loved her family.  Her dad was my favorite.  He was super wise.  And I love that he lived in Hawaii.  Ugh, that's the dream right there.   I loved her work family too.  Quirky characters are my favorite, but it's hard to have quirky characters without being too quirky.  Fortunes managed it.  This book was also very quotable.  It felt like every 25 pages I threw a post it in to mark something to write down.  I'm going to leave you with my favorite:


"I didn't know what I wanted to Be.  The not-knowing of that was giving me the restless pissed-offness that questions without answers give.  A sense that I had permanently botched things already, embarked on the trip without the map."

No comments:

Post a Comment